[gensc-biodiversity-wg] Call for student applications: PhyloSoC 2012

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Sat Mar 24 17:02:21 UTC 2012

*** Please disseminate widely at your local institutions, including ***
*** posting to message and job boards, so that we reach as many     ***
*** students as  possible                                           ***

Are you a student interested in evolutionary biology and open-source
software development?

PHYLOINFORMATICS SUMMER OF CODE 2012

http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2012

The Phyloinformatics Summer of Code program provides a unique
opportunity for undergraduate, masters, and PhD students to obtain
hands-on experience writing and extending open-source software for
evolutionary informatics under the mentorship of experienced
developers from around the world. The program is the participation of
the US National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent) as a mentoring
organization in the Google Summer of Code(tm)
(http://code.google.com/soc/ ).

Students in the program receive a stipend from Google (and the coveted
T-shirt upon completion!), and work from their home, or home
institution, for the duration of the 3 month program. You will have the
opportunity to collaborate with our enthusiastic mentor community, and
will have at least one dedicated mentor to help you complete your
project.

We are particularly targeting students interested in both evolutionary
biology and software development. Our website, above, lists potential
projects. Projects include many programming languages (e.g. C/C++,
Java, Perl, R) and cover subjects ranging from visualization to
algorithm implementation to data interoperability. You don't need to
be an expert in either evolutionary biology or software development -
find a project idea that interests you, and we can work with you to
develop a proposal that fits your skills. We also welcome novel
project ideas apart from those already on the list.

INTERESTED? Contact us phylosoc {at} nescent {dot} org. We strongly
encourage all interested students to get in touch with us with their
ideas as early on as possible. Admission is competitive, and we want
plenty of time to work with you to develop a great project proposal.

TO APPLY: Apply online at the Google Summer of Code website:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012

where you will also find GSoC program rules and eligibility
requirements.  The 14-day application period for students opens on
Monday March 26th and runs through Friday, April 6th, 2012.

Google Summer of Code FAQ:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs

Karen Cranston and Jim Proctor
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center